Tuesday 6 May 2014

Feeling Cold...

It's windy and overcast outside. I am here wrapped in a blanket and still my extremities are purple. I am considering turning on the heater. It's always cold in my house - my house is oriented towards the east, only my kitchen window faces north and the western side of my house is in constant shade from the trees on the neighboring property. Only on 40+ degree days does it get uncomfortably warm in here. So cold.

Ok, the heater is on. I only ever heat the lounge room, both entrances have doors on them. I have just looked at the weather - apparently the maximum temperature is 15 degrees, tomorrow is supposed to be 14. Definitely cold enough for heating in my opinion. Must remember to put flannelet sheets on the beds!

And I still have not planted out my winter veg! Soon it will be too late for most. The seedlings are still waiting for transplant, like so many other things waiting for my attention. Every list sees exponential growth daily.


We are going without TV and video games here. The Chook has been ignoring my warnings about the consequences of not tidying his toys away, even taking anything that he doesn't put away by the end of the week has not worked. He was warned that he would loose all of his toys and gaming privileges if he didn't get it done this week and he didn't do a thing. So now he has no toys, no TV, and definitely no video games. He is left with his drawing things and books.

The only thing he has truly been unhappy about was the TV. I have turned all power to the TV etc off. I have even removed the external hard drive on the computer (which contains the files for all of the games) and the computer is to stay off at all times - except when I need to do my studying, which he is not home for.

I have told him the TV will go back on next week on Monday and that he will be allowed to choose a few toys from the confiscated mass to play with. If he can be good and tidy up when asked he will get some more toys and he may be allowed to play a video game for one evening. If he can continue to keep things tidy when asked he will get toys back, if not he looses some. Some might think this harsh, but nothing else has worked.

Well this is joyful...

PsychoScissors out.

4 comments:

  1. I like your approach to tidying up mess. I never won that battle because I was never strong enough. Now that there are only two of us here I am the messiest one. Today I have a day at home alone. I could clean up or I could do something else productive. I hope nobody takes away my toys and my TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I would take down a pile of freshly washed clothing to one of the kids' bedrooms, see the total mess everywhere and just toss the pile in across it all. It was sort of fun. I am afraid this says more about me than my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is good to teach him consequences and hopefully good habits. I too failed with this with my children with regards to keeping their rooms tidy. They are now living independently and have to deal with their own mess. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wouldn't be so bad if it was his room that was full of mess ... but it is the lounge room, which you have to traverse to get between the bedrooms/bathroom/laundry to the kitchen. Ut's not so fun when the floor is covered in LEGO!

    ReplyDelete