Wednesday 21 May 2014

Fair thee well XP, we had a good run...

Ok, so some of you may know that Microsoft's support was removed for Windows XP recently. Well, I was happy enough to continue to use it, removal of support does not mean you can't use it. Unfortunately, I had a glitch today and I was unable to fix it - I used my phone to browse the internet (since this was one of the services effected) and was unable to find a solution. I tried a repair install to no avail. So I did a complete wipe and re-install. This would have been fine, since they have supposedly made it so that when you go to activate it doesn't need to authenticate, but it doesn't recognise the internet connection through my mobile internet dongle ... I've had this problem before, I fixed it by lugging my computer to my parents house.

But now that I have this problem, I thought that maybe I should just upgrade my OS - I don't want to go down the linux path - so that leaves Windows 7 or 8, which are the same price. Then I got to thinking, that would probably be wasted money on my computer. My machine is aged to the point that if the motherboard, CPU or video card failed, I could not find replacement parts. I have new RAM and power supply, but the RAM would be incompatible with a new system. So for a new system I would have to replace, at the minimum, CPU, motherboard, video card and RAM.

While I know how to build a system, I do not have the time or patience to slog through all the info about all available parts and to figure out what I want vs. what I can afford. Pre-built systems are not what I'm after either, because they come with the things I don't need - adding to the cost. I don't need a DVD burner, case or hard drive - I have these things already, in perfect working order and compatible with future systems.

Ugh, I'll have to grab out my netbook to do my course work, until I can figure out what to do about my desktop. I just hope the operating system on it doesn't crap itself too - it runs XP as well! I'm pretty sure I have Open Office on it. Luckily I was able to put all of my recent work on to my external hard drive!

*Sigh*

PsychoScissors out.

No comments:

Post a Comment