Monday 12 May 2014

Mumble mumble....

Every Monday morning the kids at The Chook's school sing the National Anthem with the teachers and parents joining in. I usually stay out of singing it because I can't stand singing it so badly, but today it was worse than usual. There were fewer kids and all of them were mumbling - "Ausmnsal et us-eoice, fo-e a un n-fee...", I couldn't help myself, I said "Oh, come on" and started singing it, with the aim of getting them to lift their voices ... It back fire and I practically ended up singing it alone. Couple that with the fact that I can't stand being centre of attention, good or bad ... let's just say I didn't have much fun.

I also hate the fact that so few know that there is actually a second verse to our anthem. I think it is much better than the first verse too, far more uplifting.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll join with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plans to share
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair
In joyful strains, then let us sing
Advance Australia fair

Oh, but no one cares. No one likes singing our anthem, probably because we are forced to sing it for years in primary school. And then there are those who think that Waltzing Matilda would make a better anthem ... yes, let's sing about hard times, taking sheep and committing suicide when the corrupt law enforcement comes. Really good anthem right there! I will agree that it is far more fun to sing, but doesn't say much about out country ... just be glad we don't sing Advance Australia Fair in it's original form - look it up if you want to learn more.

Wow, did I really just have a rant about our anthem? How many people actually care so much? ROFL.

PsychoScissors out.

4 comments:

  1. I liked your Rant and oh boy I would of had a fit singing alone! Must admit I do not know
    all the words as I was back in the day of "god save the queen" lol
    And I think I am now a follower, I like blogs and have one myself ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if children in school are actually taught the words, or if they are just supposed to pick it up from the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are told the words once, which is why we have "Australian's all have ostriches..."

      Delete
  3. Following along with you. I'm from the God Save the Queen era too but hey, I sing Advance Australia Fair. I'm proud, not embarrassed!!!

    ReplyDelete