Wednesday 9 April 2014

School Holidays and a Sick Little Chook

It is autumn school holidays and my 'Little Chook' (my son) has a nasty cold. He was so snotty yesterday that he had to hurl due to chunks in his throat - yummy! I am hoping he feels better soon, as I don't wish to take him anywhere to pass on his germs to the next unsuspecting child.

But even with this set back, we have both had a fair bit of fun staying in. You see, The Chook has made a list (with a little help from me, he's only a Prep) of things he would love to do during the holidays. While there are a few out-of-house things, such as ride bikes and go see The Lego Movie, a larger proportion are all crafty things and we have nearly all that we need here at home.

So far we have made a marble race track out of a pool noodle, pet rocks with houses, and a mini bow and arrow (using an icy pole stick, string and cotton buds). So far I think his favorite has been the pet rocks with houses. His pet rock's name is Bob. Bob likes mess and making lots of noise. My pet rock is called Lela, the complete opposite of Bob. She is neat and likes to read books in bed. Yes, we went a bit crazy.

I am having The Chook keep a scrapbook of all the things we do during the holidays to show his school friends when he goes back. He draws a picture of what we do, glues in photos and other keepsakes, and I write a short sentence describing the day.

Well, here's hoping our holidays only get better and that you (if you are having them) are enjoying yours!

PsychoScissors

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of keeping a diary of the holiday activities. I did that for myself at Christmas. It is so easy to forget what you have done. It also gives you a great sense of achievement. No, you didn't just do nothing - here is a record of all your activities :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scrapbook is such a great idea. I hope your little Chook is over the cold soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cubby houses! My kids built cubby houses in the holidays: inside if it was raining with a blanket over the table and they would then eat their lunch in there. It kept them entertained for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that was one of my favourite wet day activities. I had three older brothers. A great way to escape.

      Delete
  4. You have an excellent holiday planned Fi. This is when I feel like I was a very average mother. Organised activities weren't my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you have plenty to do if it stays wet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am babysitting my grandchildren for the second week of the school holidays. One event we have planned is to go to a pantomime show at the local library. It is held at three branches in the Valley, two different shows on the Wednesday. Each show runs for about an hour and is only $5 per child. The great thing about it is that it is interactive so the children get to join in the fun, not just watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try the bow and arrows with Cubs, not sure how the parents will react.. but the kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope he is feeling a lot better, and remember lots of cubby house fun with my 4 with sheets over tables or the couch in school holidays. As for keeping up with the blog, I must update mine again lol. I am from rav too ☺

    ReplyDelete